Todd is a Consulting Arborist with professional experience in the industry since 2002. He has particular knowledge and experience with urban forestry regulations and permitting requirements in the Portland region and beyond. In addition to urban forestry, his background in urban planning allows him to provide clients the most efficient options for navigating the land use approval process when trees are at issue for development projects.
- Urban forestry consultant for City of Portland Streets 2035 project to guide space allocation requirements for trees and other public infrastructure.
- Urban forestry consultant for City of Milwaukie middle housing code updates to ensure preservation and planting of tree canopy in support of city’s long term urban forestry goals.
- Tree preservation, removal, protection plan, and construction oversight for Division Street High Capacity Transit Project from inner southeast Portland to Cleveland Station in Gresham.
- Tree preservation, removal, protection plan, and construction oversight for Lake Oswego Pavement Management Program.
- Tree preservation, removal, protection plan, and construction oversight for Kruse Village in Lake Oswego.
- Tree preservation, removal, protection plan, and construction oversight for Platform District in Orenco Station, Hillsboro.
- Tree preservation, removal, protection plan, and construction oversight for Baker Creek Subdivision, McMinnville.
- Tree risk assessment for City of Lake Oswego at Cook’s Butte Park.
- Tree risk assessment for City of Gresham at Kirk Park.
- Third party arborist review of tree preservation and removal plan for City of Eugene, Oregon.
- Contract consulting arborist and third party arborist review for City of Gresham, Oregon.
- Contract consulting arborist for City of Tigard, Oregon.
- Diagnostics and treatment recommendations for tree failures at cover for Lakeside Landfill.
- Expert witness for valuation of plant nursery losses in agricultural dispute.
- Expert witness for valuation of orchard losses due to trespassing.
- Expert witness for valuation of ornamental tree and shrub losses due to trespassing.
- Expert witness for view obstruction in violation of HOA covenants, conditions, and restrictions.
- Tree Inventory and management recommendations for Forest Heights HOA, Portland.
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS
2016 ASCA Registered Consulting Arborist
2014 Board Certified Master Arborist
2013 Tree Risk Assessment Qualified
2012 AICP American Planning Association
2007 M.S. in Horticulture, University of California at Davis
2003 ISA Certified Arborist
2001 B.S. in Environmental Horticulture and Urban Forestry, University of California at Davis
1998 A.S. in Forestry, Bakersfield College
2015 Distinguished Service Award for the Lake Oswego Planning Commission
2015 Oregon Urban and Community Forestry Award for Outstanding Leadership
2014 American Planning Association Award for Best Practice in Planning
2013 Oregon Planning Association Award for Professional Achievement in Planning
2012 – Present Consulting Arborist, Lake Oswego, OR
- Consulting arborist/planner for municipalities. Activities include preparing reports and revisions to development codes, municipal codes, and urban forestry technical manuals; conducting tree risk assessments; determining the replacement value of illegally removed trees; performing land use reviews; recommending conditions of land use approval; conducting compliance inspections; and providing analysis and reports on tree removal permits.
- Consulting arborist/planner for private firms and individuals. Activities include preparing tree inventories, tree appraisals, tree risk assessments, natural resource delineations, preservation plans, mitigation options, arborist reports, tree permits, and land use applications/findings for development projects.
2007 – 2012 The City of Tigard, City Arborist/Planner, Tigard, OR
- Served as project manager for the City’s Urban Forestry Code Revisions and Urban Forestry Master Plan projects.
- Ensured public and private development projects adequately protected existing trees, and created new landscapes that provided increased tree canopy in compliance with City procedures, practices, and policies.
- Conducted hazard tree evaluations and recommended abatement options in accordance with arboricultural practices and standards to protect public safety.
- Performed appraisals of trees removed for public and private development projects in accordance with arboricultural practices and standards.
2002 – 2006 The City of San Francisco, Urban Forestry Inspector, Horticulturist, San Francisco, CA
Prager, Todd. 2020. Complete Streets for People…and Trees. American Society of Consulting Arborists. The Arboricultural Consultant 53(2).
Prager, Todd. 2019. The Language of Trees. American Society of Consulting Arborists. The Arboricultural Consultant 52(3).
Prager, Todd. 2018. Decoding the Tree Code. American Society of Consulting Arborists. The Arboricultural Consultant 51(1).
City of Tigard. 2012. Urban Forestry Code Revisions Volumes I-V. City of Tigard, OR, Community Development Department, Long Range Planning Division. 1031p.
City of Tigard. 2009. Urban Forestry Master Plan. City of Tigard, OR, Community Development Department, Current Planning Division. 101p.
SELECT SEMINAR INSTRUCTION
2016-Present Annual Native and Invasive Plants Tour, City of Lake Oswego Urban and Community Forestry Program, Lake Oswego, OR
2020 Consulting Academy Coach, American Society of Consulting Arborists, Sacramento, CA
2014 Benefits of Trees Walk, City of Lake Oswego Urban and Community Forestry Program, Lake Oswego, OR
SELECT VOLUNTEER ACTIVITES
2021 Middle Housing Task Force, City of Lake Oswego Task Force Appointment, Lake Oswego, OR
2016 – Present Editorial Review Board, The American Society of Consulting Arborists, Rockville, MD
2013, 2014 Regional Urban Forestry Strategy Steering Committee, The Intertwine Alliance, Portland, OR
2010 – 2015 Planning Commission, City of Lake Oswego Commission Appointment, Lake Oswego, OR